Welcome to Home Page of Virendra P. Ghate
I am an assistant atmospheric scientist at the Argonne National Laboratory 's Division of Environmental Sciences (EVS)
I am also a visiting scientist at the Rutgers University 's Department of Environmental Sciences (DES)
Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering, Nagpur University, India 1998-2002
Thesis Title: Design and fabrication of vortex tube.
Master of Science in Meteorology, University of Miami, USA 2003-2006
Thesis Title: Characteristics of drizzle under stratocumulus using cloud Doppler radars.
Doctor of Philosophy in Meteorology, University of Miami, USA 2006-2009
Dissertation Title: Turbulence and mass transports in stratocumulus clouds.
My research is mainly focused on boundary layer clouds and the associated processes to improve their representation in Global Climate Models. For doing that I use variety of observational datesets along with simple models. The bulk of my research is tied to the data from the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Mobile Facility (AMF).
- Collow., A., V. P. Ghate, M. A. Miller and L. Trabachino, 2014: A One-Year Study of the Diurnal Cycle of Meteorology, Clouds, and Radiation in the West African Sahel Region, in review Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc.
- Ghate, V. P., M. A. Miller, B. A. Albrecht and C. W. Fairall, 2014: Thermodynamic and radiative structure of Stratocumulus Topped Boundary Layers. in review J. Atmos. Sci.
- Wood, R. and co-authors, 2014: Clouds, aerosols and precipitation in marine boundary layer: An ARM mobile facility deployment. accepted Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc.
- Fang, M., B. A. Albrecht, V. P. Ghate and P. Kollias, 2013: Turbulence in continental stratocumulus part I: External forcings and turbulence structures, Bound. Layer Meteor. doi 10.1007/s10546-013-9873-3
- Fang, M., B. A. Albrecht, V. P. Ghate and P. Kollias, 2013: Turbulence in continental stratocumulus part II: Eddy dissipation rates and large eddy coherent structures, Bound. Layer Meteor. doi 10.1007/s10546-013-9872
- Ghate, V. P., B. A. Albrecht, M. A. Miller, A. Brewer and C. W. Fairall, 2013: Turbulence and radiation in stratocumulus topped marine boundary layers: A case-study from VOCALS-REx. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. , 53, 117-135.
- Miller, M. A., V. P. Ghate and R. Zahn, 2012: The radiation budget of the West African Sahel and its control:A perspective from observations and global climate models. J. Climate 25, 5976-5996. pdf
- Moran, K., S. Pezoa, C. Fairall, C. Williams, T. Ayers, A. Brewer, S. P. deSzoeke and V. Ghate, 2011: A motion-stabilized w-band radar for shipboard observations of marine boundary-layer clouds. Bound. Layer Meteor. doi: 10.1007/s10546-011-9674-5 pdf
- Zheng, X., B. Albrecht, H. H. Jonsson, D. Kelif, G. Feingold, P. Minnis, K. Ayers, P. Chuang, S. Donaher, D. Rossiter, V. Ghate, J. Ruiz-Plancarte and S. Sun-Mack, 2011: Observations of boundary layer, cloud and aerosol variability in the southeast Pacific near-coastal marine stratocumulus during VOCALS-REx., Atmos. Chem., Phys. , 11, 9943-9959. pdf
- Ghate, V. P., M. A. Miller and L. DiPretore, 2011: Vertical velocity structure of marine boundary layer trade wind cumulus clouds. J. Geophys. Res., 115, D23201, doi:10.1029/2010JD015344. pdf
- Zhu, P., B. A. Albrecht, V. P. Ghate and Z-D. Zhu, 2010: Multiple scale simulations of stratocumulus clouds. J. Geophys. Res., 115, D23201, doi:10.1029/2010JD014400. pdf
- Ghate, V. P., B. A. Albrecht and P. Kollias, 2010: Vertical velocity structure of non-precipitating continental boundary layer stratocumulus clouds. J. Geophys. Res. , 115, D13204, doi:10.1029/2009JD013091 pdf
- Rauber, R. M. and co-authors, 2007: In the Driver's Seat
- RICO and Education. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 88 , 1929-1937. pdf
- Ghate, V. P., B. A. Albrecht, C. W. Fairall, R. A. Weller, 2009: Climatology of surface meteorology, surface fluxes,
cloud fraction and radiative forcing over south-east Pacific from buoy observations. J. Clim , 22, 5227-5540
- Ghate, V. P., B. A. Albrecht, P. Kollias, H. H. Jonsson and D. W. Breed, 2007: Cloud Seeding
as a technique for studying aerosol-cloud interactions in marine Stratocumulus.,
Geophys. Res. Lett. , 34 , L14807, doi:10.1029/2007GL029748 pdf
Division of Environmental Sciences,
9700 South Cass Avenue,
Argonne IL 60439
Email: vghate (at) anl [Dot] gov